Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Informational Interviews

Maybe I haven’t been in the working world for too long, but the idea of an informational interview was new to me. So you’re telling me that you go into a company and you interview them, too see if YOU like it?

Well, that’s what I did a couple of weeks ago. I went to National PR, one of the largest PR agencies in North America, with clients such as TD Canada Trust to Becel.

I spent the day acquiring an abundance of knowledge and seeing how challenging agency life can be; mostly for the comprehensive experience and diverse clientèle. I met with 10 employees and spoke with each one of them for about 15 minutes each. However, with each person I met, I found it difficult to keep track of time. They all had so much to say and offer me. I appreciate them taking the time out to speak with me. I guess that's what happens when you’re trying to cram so much knowledge into a short 15 minutes.

I must say I lucked out being chosen for this mentorship. I always wanted to do non-for-profit. But as I did the interviews from each practice, it’s like I saw myself liking each practice for a different reason.

When I spoke with Nina, in the Corporate practice, she explained that every practice has their own little sub-culture, from what they wear to how they socialize. I definitely observed it as I was there. Marketing was described as a more laid-back, casual bunch, while the Clinical Research practice was a totally different from the rest of the firm; in terms of what they did and how they accomplished it. But still, no one would work as effectively as they do without help from other practices.

This interview has shown me the importance of an informational interview; even though you are interested, you still have to fit. I guess what’s most impressive is that every one there has found a place that works for them, because there’s so much variety.

Two reasons for an informational interview; see if you fit and to substantiate your interests.

No comments: